Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC)

To register at a French higher education establishment, you will need to provide proof that you have paid the Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC) or are exempt from it. This contribution is intended to support preventive and health education initiatives, and to promote social, health, cultural and sporting support for students.

You only have to pay this contribution once a year, even if you are enrolled at several higher education establishments.

Registration on the CVEC website

You can check your situation in the table below:

Your situationCVEC

Professional training contracts or continuing education trainees

Exchange students exempt from tuition fees

Co-tutored doctoral students, exempt from French tuition fees

You're not concerned
Students receiving government scholarships and certain other scholarshipsFree
(Procedure to follow on

Students on initial training or apprenticeships

Students with an exchange agreement who register for additional training outside the agreement

All other doctoral students

Payment of CVEC
(Procedure to follow on

International students coming as part of an international exchange do not need to do this. However, it does become compulsory if you decide to register for an additional course outside the exchange agreement.

To register, log on to If you do not yet have an account on the dedicated website, you will need to register:

  • your National Student Identifier (INE) number if you are already enrolled in French higher education,
  • a scan of your identity document,
  • a declaration of honour for foreign students arriving in France.
  • a proof of scholarship if it allows you an exemption.

You must then declare your city of study.

How much does the CVEC cost?

Once you have registered, you can pay the contribution if you owe it.

The cost of paying the CVEC is €100. . You can pay online by credit card or in cash at a post office. As soon as your payment has been recorded, CROUS will send you a certificate of payment.

We strongly recommend that you pay online, as it will enable you to be registered much more quickly.

Exemptions exist for French higher education grant holders, refugees benefiting from subsidiary protection or asylum seekers benefiting from the right to remain in France.

A certificate of exemption will be sent to you. If you do not yet have your scholarship certificate, payment will be required but a refund will be possible.

In all cases, you will be asked to produce the certificate when you enrol at Centrale Lyon.

Find the FAQ to understand everything about the CVEC.