I received an email stating that my file was incomplete and that some documents were missing or wrong. What should I do?

This is usually to do with supporting documentation that is missing, illegible or invalid. Log in to the website https://inscriptions.ec-lyon.fr/fr/login and replace the relevant documents before the start of term.

Check that the document is legible. If it is illegible, upload a new document after checking that you can read it! When you replace a document, you do not have to notify Student Affairs. The file will be processed.

Examples of documents to be modified:

  • Documents that do not match your situation as stated on the enrolment website (e.g. grants, etc.) or for the academic year.
  • Documents that are not official.

In any case, check the type of document required.