The objective of the international Master in Materials Science and Engineering "Biosurf - Biomimicry and Surface Engineering" is to train scientists in materials science and surface engineering through a new transverse approach to biomimicry and ecological transition. This Master's degree offers a cross-disciplinary approach to biomimicry: biomimicry and ecological transition, manufacturing and functionalisation of surfaces, digital sciences. It provides theoretical learning based on numerous practical activities as practical work or projects in connection with the SURFAB technical platform.
This international Master is taught entirely in English, on the Ecully site, with some missions on the Saint-Etienne site of the Ecole Centrale de Lyon. It is based on internationally renowned laboratories, the LTDS and the SURFAB technical platform.
It is divided into 4 semesters:
Semester 1: Core program
- Basic scientific courses: mathematics, computer science, biomimicry, biology, materials, physical measurements.
- Foreign language (including French)
Semester 2: Advanced program
- Surface science advanced courses: tribology and bio-inspiration, surface manufacturing (high temperature processes), surface characterisation, wetting and capillary.
- Research biomimetic project.
- Foreign language (including French) and intercultural studies.
Semester 3: Advanced program
- Surface science advanced courses: Surface manufacturing (3D additive manufacturing, femtosecond laser texturing), characterisation of surfaces and nanostructures, multiscale numerical sciences, climate change.
- Advanced research biomimetic project.
Semester 4: Internship
6-months research internship.
This training leads to careers in industrial R&D, academic research and higher education, interdisciplinary project manager. The sectors of activity concerned are energy, transport (land, aeronautics, maritime), medical and materials.
The disciplinary fields cover engineering, materials, surface science, surface treatments, surface engineering and biomaterials.
Applications for the academic year 2023-2024
- Master 1: License or Bachelor in a scientific subject related to the themes of the Master. English level B2.
- Master 2: M1 passed in a subject related to the subjects of the Master. English level B2.
Bachelor's or Master's 1 level diplomas recommended: materials science, chemistry, physics, biology
Centrale Lyon applies differentiated national rights. The rates and additional costs can be viewed by clicking here.
Students from the European Union
Master 1: Applications on the national platform from March 22 to April 18, 2023: www.monmaster.gouv.fr.
Master 2: Online file to complete from March 1 to April 18, 2023: https://sondages.ec-lyon.fr/index.php/389148?lang=en.
Students from outside the European Union
- Registration and application on the Etudes en France website. The examinations of the applications of the first recruitment campaign are being processed. An email is sent to the candidate informing him of the jury's decision. Any provisional admission must be confirmed according to the methods transmitted.
- Complete the online file from March 1 to April 18, 2023. For candidates with a Studies in France file who would not have applied to our establishment during the first wave, it is possible to apply for this second campaign. recruitment.
Online file Master 1: https://sondages.ec-lyon.fr/index.php/147955?lang=en
Online file Master 2: https://sondages.ec-lyon.fr/index.php/389148?lang=en
Documents you must provide
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Copy of your passport or identity document
- Passport or identity photo
- An academic reference from one of your professors, from the last year of yourlatest academic programme
- A reference from your employer if you are not currently registered as a student
- Transcript of your academic results for the current year (Bachelor or Masters programme) and for all the preceding years of your university programmes.
- Copy of the last degree certificate that you were awarded
- English language certificate, level B2 – intermediate/advanced (Minimum levels : IELTS 5.0, TOIEC 400, EFSET 51, TOEFL IBT 72, Cambridge FCE, CECR B2, ILR 2, ACTFL Advanced mid, CLB 7, TOEIC 605) or documentary evidence of a minimum of three years of full time education conducted in the English language.