New school year FAQ

4 results

  • Now that there is no more student social security regime, where can I take out mutual insurance?

    • The student social security regime was operated by student mutual insurance companies that were delegated by the State. They still continue to offer insurance to students, as a supplement to State services.

      However, you are no longer obliged to seek insurance from a student mutual insurance company. There are other bodies that offer health cover (insurers, mutual insurance companies, banks, etc.) You should compare offers.

      Lastly, if you have problems accessing healthcare, you can benefit from the supplemental Universal Health Coverage (CMU) or complementary health assistance. Health insurance can also provide you with occasional and one-off financial aid. Find out more from the Primary Health Insurance Fund (CPAM).

  • To register for health insurance, I have been asked for a fully copy of my birth certificate (or a short-form birth certificate stating filiation or other consular document). Which consulate should I apply to?

    • Generally, to the French consulate based in the country where the document was issued.

  • What do students from EU/EEA Member States or from Switzerland have to do with regard to health insurance?

    • Students who are nationals of an EU/EEA Member State or of Switzerland must have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to France. In this case, they must apply for it through the relevant channels. 

  • What is the difference between social security and mutual insurance?

    • The French social security regime reimburses about 70% of your incurred health expenses, subject to the prices regulated under social security, production of a doctor's note, use of generic medication, etc.

      It is highly recommended to take out supplementary insurance to be more fully covered. This is particularly important for hospitalisations.

Did you read the FAQ but couldn’t find an answer to your question in the list? Send your question to us using the contact form at the right. Remember, your message will be processed faster if you use the right contact information!