New school year FAQ

5 results

  • Do international students have to register with French social security?

    • Registration with social security is obligatory, except for European students with a European Health Insurance Card.

      The student must carry out this procedure themselves. Institutes can only provide information to students.

  • I am an international student. Do I have to reside in France for 3 months before I can rely on my entitlements?

    • No, you are exempted from this condition. 

  • On what date are international students effectively registered with French social security?

    • It is the date of enrolment at the higher education institute, which cannot be before 1 September.

      Until then, you will not be able to take out mutual health insurance (supplementary insurance) because you will not be registered with social security. The only remaining option is to take out full insurance cover, which is more expensive. It is therefore in your interests to carry out all procedures as soon as possible.

  • To register for health insurance, I have been asked for a fully copy of my birth certificate (or a short-form birth certificate stating filiation or other consular document). Which consulate should I apply to?

    • Generally, to the French consulate based in the country where the document was issued.

  • What do students from EU/EEA Member States or from Switzerland have to do with regard to health insurance?

    • Students who are nationals of an EU/EEA Member State or of Switzerland must have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to France. In this case, they must apply for it through the relevant channels. 

Did you read the FAQ but couldn’t find an answer to your question in the list? Send your question to us using the contact form at the right. Remember, your message will be processed faster if you use the right contact information!