The Master of Science in Acoustics degree is a two-year programme in partnership with the Centre Lyonnais d’Acoustique (LabEx CelyA, an alliance between the primary acoustics research teams in Lyon), spearheaded by École Centrale de Lyon in collaboration with Lyon 1 University, ENTPE and INSA Lyon.
This master’s degree in acoustics aims to transform students into industry leaders, academic lecturers and researchers who will work in the area of acoustics or vibrations at an international level.
Students receive education in acoustics applicable to industry and research. From this, students will be able to consider and solve industrial acoustic problems and, more specifically, be capable of delving into research and development issues. Besides a specialist knowledge of acoustics, this requires a general knowledge of the fundamentals of mechanical engineering to fully understand problems in all their complexity.
At the same time, the programme will instil in students an industrial awareness and high level of scientific communication, especially in the English language, thereby opening the door to a professional career in departments for design or research and development in international companies or university laboratories.
The syllabus is organised into four semesters and ends with a six-month research placement.
Sound and acoustic propagation - Signal and speech processing - Fundamentals of mechanics - Continuum mechanics - French or English - Project management and communication.
Numerical methods for acoustics (project) - Vibrations - In connection with acoustics music, structures, imaging, adaptive filtering, etc. - French or English - Placement in a partner laboratory.
Advanced acoustics - Specialised courses: aeroacoustics, perception, building, vibrating structures, etc. - Applications in
transportation, energy, health, etc. - Elective module - French or English - Project management and communication.
Research internship in a laboratory or industrial R&D department.
For more information, visit the website: master-acoustics.ec-lyon.fr
Graduates of this Master of Science in Acoustics degree generally find work in:
- R&D departments of large companies involved in energy and transportation,
- consultancy firms and design offices working in acoustics of vibrations and manufacturers of sound equipment,
- or they continue research activities by pursuing a doctorate at a research laboratory or an industry-affiliated laboratory.
Applications for 2020-2021 academic year
Applications are accepted in an initial round between December and February. You are strongly advised to apply during this round. An additional round of applications is scheduled between March and mid-May.
Applications for the academic year 2021-2022 are now closed.
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
- Copy of passport/ID card
- Photo ID
- Academic letter(s) of recommendation based on the last university year from a head lecturer
- Letter(s) of recommendation from your employer if you are not currently a student
- Academic transcripts for current year (bachelor’s or master’s) and all previous university years
- Copy of last conferred degree
- English language certificate - B2 - intermediate/proficient (minimum level IELTS 5.0, TOIEC 400, EFSET 51, TOEFL IBT 72, Cambridge FCE, CECR B2, ILR 2, ACTFL Advanced mid, CLB 7, TOEIC 605) or at least 3 years of education in English