The Master of Science in Acoustics degree is a two-year programme in partnership with the Centre Lyonnais d’Acoustique (LabEx CelyA, an alliance between the primary acoustics research teams in Lyon), spearheaded by École Centrale de Lyon in collaboration with Lyon 1 University, ENTPE and INSA Lyon.
This master’s degree in acoustics aims to transform students into industry leaders, academic lecturers and researchers who will work in the area of acoustics or vibrations at an international level.
Students receive education in acoustics applicable to industry and research. From this, students will be able to consider and solve industrial acoustic problems and, more specifically, be capable of delving into research and development issues. Besides a specialist knowledge of acoustics, this requires a general knowledge of the fundamentals of mechanical engineering to fully understand problems in all their complexity.
At the same time, the programme will instil in students an industrial awareness and high level of scientific communication, especially in the English language, thereby opening the door to a professional career in departments for design or research and development in international companies or university laboratories.
The syllabus is organised into four semesters and ends with a six-month research placement.
Sound and acoustic propagation - Signal and speech processing - Fundamentals of mechanics - Continuum mechanics - French or English - Project management and communication.
Numerical methods for acoustics (project) - Vibrations - In connection with acoustics music, structures, imaging, adaptive filtering, etc. - French or English - Placement in a partner laboratory.
Advanced acoustics - Specialised courses: aeroacoustics, perception, building, vibrating structures, etc. - Applications in
transportation, energy, health, etc. - Elective module - French or English - Project management and communication.
Research internship in a laboratory or industrial R&D department.
For more information, visit the website: master-acoustics.ec-lyon.fr
Graduates of this Master of Science in Acoustics degree generally find work in:
- R&D departments of large companies involved in energy and transportation,
- consultancy firms and design offices working in acoustics of vibrations and manufacturers of sound equipment,
- or they continue research activities by pursuing a doctorate at a research laboratory or an industry-affiliated laboratory.
Applications for 2022-2023 academic year
Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are now closed. Applicants will be notified by email by 24 June 2022 at the latest. (A confirmation will be requested).
Documents you must provide
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Copy of your passport or identity document
- Passport or identity photo
- An academic reference from one of your professors, from the last year of yourlatest academic programme
- A reference from your employer if you are not currently registered as a student
- Transcript of your academic results for the current year (Bachelor or Masters programme) and for all the preceding years of your university programmes.
- Copy of the last degree certificate that you were awarded
- English language certificate, level B2 – intermediate/advanced (Minimum levels: IELTS 5.0, TOIEC 400, EFSET 51, TOEFL IBT 72, Cambridge FCE, CECR B2, ILR 2, ACTFL Advanced mid, CLB 7, TOEIC 605) or documentary evidence of a minimum of three years of full time education conducted in the English language.