New school year FAQ

9 results

  • Do international students have to pay the CVEC?

    • International students are liable to pay the CVEC under the same conditions as French students.

      However, Article L. 841-5 of the French Education Code stipulates that ‘students who hold refugee or subsidiary protection status or who are registered as an asylum seeker with the relevant authority and holding a right to remain in the country under the conditions set out in Articles L. 742-1 and L. 743-1 of the Entry and Residence of Foreigners and Right of Asylum Code shall also be exempt.’

      Furthermore, international students who come as part of an exchange programme are exempt for the 2020-2021 academic year. This does not apply in the case of a second enrolment in a master’s programme unless part of an exchange programme.

      See also ‘Which students are exempt from paying the CVEC?

  • Do international students have to register with French social security?

    • Registration with social security is obligatory, except for European students with a European Health Insurance Card.

      The student must carry out this procedure themselves. Institutes can only provide information to students.

  • I am an international student. Do I have to reside in France for 3 months before I can rely on my entitlements?

    • No, you are exempted from this condition. 

  • I have not received my visa. Can I get a refund for the CVEC?

    • Yes, provided that, in the end, you are not enrolled in any initial education at a higher education institute. 

  • I have uploaded my master's degree application on Campus France. How will I receive the response?

    • Please consult the Campus France platform.

  • I receive a grant from Campus France. Do I have to pay the CVEC?

    • I receive a grant from Campus France. Do I have to pay the CVEC? No. You are exempt from paying the CVEC because you fall into one of the exemption categories set out in Article L. 841-5 of the Education Code (recipients of grants awarded under student aid schemes mentioned in Article L.821-1 of said code). However, you must perform the steps on the CVEC website to obtain your CVEC certificate. If you are enrolling as part of an international exchange programme, you do not have to do anything.

  • On what date are international students effectively registered with French social security?

    • It is the date of enrolment at the higher education institute, which cannot be before 1 September.

      Until then, you will not be able to take out mutual health insurance (supplementary insurance) because you will not be registered with social security. The only remaining option is to take out full insurance cover, which is more expensive. It is therefore in your interests to carry out all procedures as soon as possible.

  • To register for health insurance, I have been asked for a fully copy of my birth certificate (or a short-form birth certificate stating filiation or other consular document). Which consulate should I apply to?

    • Generally, to the French consulate based in the country where the document was issued.

  • What do students from EU/EEA Member States or from Switzerland have to do with regard to health insurance?

    • Students who are nationals of an EU/EEA Member State or of Switzerland must have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to France. In this case, they must apply for it through the relevant channels. 

Did you read the FAQ but couldn’t find an answer to your question in the list? Send your question to us using the contact form at the right. Remember, your message will be processed faster if you use the right contact information!