SMAT is an international 2 year Master programme (M1+M2) coordinated by École Centrale de Lyon, in partnership with Mines Saint-Etienne and 3 international partners.
This training innovatively combines theoretical and applied courses (via projects and labs) with internships in a multidisciplinary environment. It covers a large spectrum starting from fundamentals in advanced manufacturing processes, material science and characterization in M1 up to the cutting edge research on key topics in M2 such as virtual manufacturing, smart and clean processes or component durability.
The increased awareness about sustainability issues results in changes in markets and customer behaviour as well as a growing demand for more sustainable and responsible products and production technologies. Even if the manufacturing industry significantly changed during the last decades, efforts still have to be done to be able to embrace future technological and environmental challenges related to the new transitions. There is thus a need for a new generation of graduates fitted not only with strong basics in this field but also with a new vision of what manufacturing has to be.
The objectives of SMAT is thus to train the future industrial managers, researchers and lecturers with a strong technical and scientific expertise but also characterised by specific skills to face the challenges to come. This programme will specifically aim at:
- Providing the graduates strong basis in materials and manufacturing processes ;
- Developing a practical sense by implementing a wide range of manufacturing processes and characterization techniques;
- Developing international and intercultural skills through the various mobility opportunities;
- Training the graduates in collaborative work and project management;
- Proposing key specializations in digital manufacturing, smart processes, clean processes and component durability.
This international master's programme is taught entirely in English. All courses in semester 1 and 2 are offered on the campus of Saint-Etienne with Mines Saint-Etienne - EMSE (FR), while the following semesters can be attended at one of the partner universities: Technical University of Chemnitz - TUC (Germany), University of Ljubljana - ULJ (Slovenia), National University of Science and Technology – NTNU (Norway). This programme especially builds on the strong, internationally recognized expertise of each partner’s research laboratories.
The course is divided into 4 semesters:
Semester 1: Fundamental on manufacturing processes (campus of Saint-Etienne)
- Basics of production engineering
- Metalworking processes
- Additive manufacturing
- High temperature processes
- Physical Measurement
- Transverse project on manufacturing technologies
- Research Methods
- Modern language
Semester 2: Fundamental on materials and their characterisation (EMSE – Saint-Etienne)
- Materials: Correlation between microstructure and mechanical properties, Material selection, Thermodynamics and kinetics of materials
- Characterization: Modern Equipment and Techniques for Investigation of Structure and Properties of Metallic Alloys; Methods of Surfaces and Interfaces Investigation (OM, SEM, TEM, EBSD, XRD, AFM & others)
Semester 3: Specialisation
Whether at École Centrale de Lyon site Saint-Etienne and Mines Saint-Etienne regarding the specialization in “Sustainable Manufacturing”,
or for a few students selected by cohort, recruited on the program in M1, in one of the partner establishments in the form of study mobility on the following topics (students recruited in M2 not eligible):
- Digital Manufacturing – NTNU, Gjovik, Norway
- Clean Manufacturing – ULJ, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Smart Manufacturing – TU Chemnitz, Germany
Semester 4: Research internship
5 month internship conducted whether in industry or in one of the partner research laboratories.
The main employment opportunities for graduates from his programme will be R&D or interdisciplinary project manager positions in the industry covering sectors from energy, transports, manufacturing to a greater extent and material production. They will also be able to work in academic research or higher education with possibilities to go on a PhD..
Applications for the academic year 2024-2025
Master 1: license or bachelor in a scientific subject related to the themes of the master. English level B2.
Master 2: successful master 1 in a subject related to the subjects of the master. English level B2.
Training cost École Centrale de Lyon applies differentiated national laws. The rates and additional costs can be viewed by clicking here.
Students from/from Outside the European Union
See page "International Master"
Documents you must provide
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Copy of your passport or identity document
- Passport or identity photo
- An academic reference from one of your professors, from the last year of your latest academic programme
- A reference from your employer if you are not currently registered as a student
- Transcript of your academic results for the current year (Bachelor or Masters programme) and for all the preceding years of your university programmes.
- Copy of the last degree certificate that you were awarded
- English language certificate, level B2 – intermediate/advanced (Minimum levels : IELTS 5.0, TOIEC 400, EFSET 51, TOEFL IBT 72, Cambridge FCE, CECR B2, ILR 2, ACTFL Advanced mid, CLB 7, TOEIC 605) or documentary evidence of a minimum of three years of full time education conducted in the English language.