The aim of this course is to provide students with the background knowledge required to understand the distribution, availability and exploitation on the earth’s natural resources. The course also addresses the impact of the use of natural resources on the environment and on society.
Natural resources, environment, energy, economic growth
- Man and the environment – historical overview
- Future scenario– growth or collapse ?
- Mineral resources
- Energy sources
- Legal aspects
- Natural resources and conflicts
- Students should be familiar with the broad classes of natural resources and their distribution on earth.
- Students should be aware of the different demands made on the earth’s natural resources, and the underlying reasons for those demands
- Students should be aware of the impact of resource exploitation on the environment and society
- Students should acquire a basic understanding of the links between exploitation of resources and the growth or collapse of society.
Mark = 50% knowledge + 50% know-how Knowledge mark = 100% terminal exam Know-how mark = 100% final exam