Bruno MASENELLI, Director.
Ségolène CALLARD, Deputy Director.
Under the aegis of
- École Centrale de Lyon
- INSA Lyon
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
Fields of research
The INL pursues multidisciplinary research on micro and nanotechnology, with a focus on four major areas:
- Functional materials: monolithic integration of functional oxides on silicon, heterostructures combining semiconductors and crystalline oxides, III-V nanowires, nanostructuring by electrochemical anodisation, III-V heterostructures for photonics, nanoemitters and nanoprobes, nanocharacterisation, physical studies.
- Electronics: Single electron devices, Silicon-based nano-devices, functional material-based devices, computing architectures based on emerging technologies, distributed sensor systems, heterogeneous design methods, MEMS, micro- and nano-scale electrical characterisation.
- Photonics and photovoltaics: Photonic crystals, nanophotonic integration, III-V semiconductor-based MOEMS, silicon solar cells (process, silicon thin-film, nanostructures).
- Biotechnology and health: Bottom-up nanotechnologies, integrated micro-nano-biosystems, biomedical sensors, smart clothing, lab-on-chip, micro-nano-fluidics.
The laboratory has 245 staff members, including 130 in permanent positions.
Primary experiment facilities
NanoLyon technology platform
- New facilities since 2012, as part of the CPER I@L-NanoLyon project.
- 1,200 m², including 600 m² assigned to clean rooms.
- Government-recognised accessible platform.
- General technology: repository, lithography, printing, annealing, etc.
- Specific technological channels: functional oxides, III-V semiconductors, silicon, photonics, photovoltaics, biochips, microfluidics, polymers, etc.
Computing and simulation tools
- High-performance servers.
- Commercial or self-developed software.
INL - Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology INL - UMR CNRS 5270
- Near field: AFM morphology, electronics, liquids, STM, SNOM.
- Electrical characterisation: static (I-V), medium frequency (C-V, I-t), high frequency (S-parameters), at low and high temperature (4 K - 600 K).
- Analytic (SIMS), surfaces (XPS-XPD, STM), structural (TEM, DRX).
- Optics and Electro-optics (photoluminescence, photoreflectance, electroluminescence).
Fields of application
The fields of application of the research encompasses important economic sectors:
- Information and communication technology: components and circuits for electronics and photonics
- Energy and environment: solar cells, microsystems for energy recovery
- Biotechnology and health: biochips, microlaboratories, sensors
1 Laboratory of Excellence (LabEx)
IMUST - Institute for Multiscale Science and Technology