Admission and enrolment - Master's degrees

Apply to a master’s programme

For students residing in a country covered by the « Campus France » procedure: Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are open from 22 November 2021 to 1 January 2022 and must be submitted via the Études en France platform. In some cases, the submission of an additional application on our website is also required.

For European students: Applications will open in March 2022.

Applications for an international master’s programme (M1-2)

An initial round of applications are accepted between November and January. A second round occurs from March until April. All procedures are online, see the webpage of the relevant master’s degree:

Applications for other master’s programmes (M2 only)

The application requirements differ according to the master’s programme.

  • Chemistry and materials science
    Application: information to come
  • Econometrics, statistics
    Application: information to come
  • Electronics, electrical energy, automation
    Application: information to come
  • Civil engineering
    Application: information to come
  • Industrial engineering
    Application: information to come
  • Computer science
    Application: information to come
  • Health engineering
    Application: information to come
  • Applied mathematics, Statistics
    Application: information to come
  • Mechanical engineering
    Application: information to come
  • Optics, image, vision, multimedia
    Application: information to come
  • Psychology of society, labour and organisations
    Application: information to come
  • Risks and the environment
    Application: information to come
  • Public health
    Application: information to come
  • Marine, atmosphere and climate science
    Application: information to come

For any administrative enquiries, please contact the offices listed in the right-hand column. For any enquiries about the content of the programme, please contact the person indicated on the Master’s degrees webpage.

Visage élève ingénieure

Enrolment fees 2020-2021

The 2020-2021 fees stated are for information purposes only and subject to change. See also Average cost for studying at Centrale Lyon.

All students must pay €92 for the Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC). This should be added to the enrolment fees that apply to the student’s particular situation.

French and EU nationals and nationals of the extended EEA

SituationFrench government grant holderNon-grant holder
Enrolment only in master’s or auditing engineering student enrolling in master’sfree€243
Engineering student enrolling in master’sfree€159

Establishment fees are taken into account for international master’s programmes.

Other international students

SituationFrench government grant holderNon-grant holderTiered fees exemption

Nanoscience & nanotechnology master’s

Enrolment only in master’s, auditing engineering student enrolling in master’s or 3rd-year engineering student enrolling in master’s


Other master’s

Enrolment only in master’s or auditing engineering student enrolling in master’sfree€3,770€243
3rd-year engineering student enrolling in master’s and started studying at Centrale Lyon before 2019-20free€159free
3rd-year engineering student enrolling in master’s and started studying at Centrale Lyon from 2019-20free€2,513€159

International exchange agreements for engineering students do not generally apply for master’s programmes. Please check before applying.

In some cases and only for national enrolment fees, there may be derogations on the tiered fees. For more information, read the Tiered Enrolment Fees Guide.

Elèves au travail à la bibliothèque

Recognition of prior learning (RPL)

The mechanism for recognising prior learning does not apply to students during their initial education. This section is exclusively for those looking to apply for a degree through the recognition of their prior learning (VAE in French).

The recognition of prior learning is a legal means to obtain a nationally-recognised degree by demonstrating professional skills acquired through various experiences (employment, unpaid activities, trade union offices, volunteer and community work, etc.).

Receipt of a degree through RPL requires a written submission (dossier) and an oral examination (before a board). The applicant must prove proficiency over all benchmark skills expected for a formally educated degree holder.

École Centrale de Lyon is authorised to award its two engineering degrees through RPL:

  • General engineering degree.
  • Engineering degree specialising in energy, facility design.

Also under RPL, École Centrale de Lyon can award the master’s degrees for which it is accredited.

Who might be interested in RPL?

A holder of a two-year college diploma or university bachelor’s degree, who can prove at least one year’s experience in engineering.

(Realistically, it is extremely rare that a single year of engineering experience would lead to proficiency in the required skills. Usually, three years’ practical experience is necessary).

For enquires relating to the recognition of prior learning (RPL), you can contact the institute’s RPL adviser Philippe Thimonier.

Logo diplôme de Master contrôlé par l'Etat