Mastery of the English language is a must. Mastery of several foreign languages is a prized asset. Hence the obligation to learn two languages over the first two years of the curriculum. Ecole Centrale de Lyon requires all students to reach a threshold level in English (590 ITP/PBT TOEFL, 825 TOEIC, 7 IELTS) and in French for non-French speaking international students (DELF B2) to graduate. In addition to learning two languages, the purpose of the Department is to open our students to linguistic, cultural, geographical, and social diversity, to prepare them for studies with our partner universities or internships abroad. The broader aim is to provide them with the tools to work in international teams, to widen their skills and their ability to adjust professionally and socially. In the second year, the recommendation is to continue learning the languages chosen in 1A (Arabic, Chinese, English, French as a foreign language, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish) but it is also possible to modify one's choice of languages and even to start a language as a beginner (Arabic, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish).
- Understanding and communicating orally and interactively.
- Reading and writing in one or more languages.
- Being aware of the cultural and intercultural factors in a particular linguistic situation.
- Team-working with one or more languages.
- Analysing, reporting, summarising in a foreign language.
- French as a foreign language
- Portuguese - Brazil
Mean value of language scores (each language score : know-how N2 = SF1 50% final exam + SF2 50% continuous assessment).