Through the study of analog-digital conversion, this AF illustrates the complementarity of electronics and signal processing for the design of information management systems. The operation, simulation and then realization of an analog-digital converter "Sigma-Delta" will be studied. This converter has an excellent behaviour with respect to the quantization error inherent to the analog-to-digital conversion. These good performances justify its important use in the audio field for consumer applications such as CD recorders. In this AF, we focus on highlighting the link between the theoretical and technical aspects that accompany the design of an electronic system.
Analog-to-digital conversion, electronic systems, Sigma-Delta modulator, digital signal, quantization, signal-to-noise ratio, filtering
- 1st session (BE 2 h): uniform conversion (Presentation of analogue / digital conversion; Principle and properties of uniform analog / digital conversion; Practical Activity (1h): Simulation and study of a uniform converter with matlab)
- 2d session (BE 2 h): Conversion Sigma-Delta (Principle and properties of the Sigma-Delta converter; Practical Activity (1h): Simulation and study of a Sigma-Delta converter under matlab / simulink)
- 3d session (TP 4 h): Electronic realization of a Sigma-Delta modulator (Design of the electronic circuit carrying out a Sigma-Delta modulation; Observation and analysis of signals in the space of time and frequency)
- Know how to describe the theoretical principle of the Sigma-Delta converter.
- Be able to conduct a simulation of the system under Matlab-Simulink.
- Being able to design an electronic circuit making a Sigma-Delta modulator.
- Be able to analyse signals in time and frequency.
Grade = 100% practice (practice grade = 1/3 1st session + 1/3 2nd session + 1/3 3rd session)