This teaching component (AF) introduces the whole FLE (Fluids & Energy) teaching unit (UE) through a hands-on exploration of flow physics and presents next the key concepts of fluid mechanics and heat transfers
Discovery of fluid mechanics, fundamental governing equations, simplifying frameworks
- Kinematics and fundamental laws
- Newtonian viscous fluid
- Reynolds number
- Flow regimes and flow features as a function of the Reynolds number
- Turbulent flows
- Energy, thermodynamics and compressible flows
- Vorticity and introduction to aerodynamics
- Heat transfer Mixtures
- Be able to describe the fundamental laws of fluid flows and heat transfers and their various levels of approximation.
- Be able to identify the main flow features and flow regimes.
- Be able to perform a dimensional analysis and an order of magnitude analysis for a boundary problem.
- Know the basics of continuous flux systems and head balances.
Final mark = 60% Knowledge + 40% Know-how (Knowledge = 100% final exam / Know-how = 100% continuous assessment).